Monday, October 3, 2011

I See Demons

And, I'm back..mostly.

I'll apologize in advance for half-assed, loopy review about to be spewed forth here. The cabin was great, weather was perfect, girlfriend was beautiful, the beer was...

Powerful.

The fog is beginning to clear, but my brain still refuses to entirely cooperate. I'm fucking zapped, and I want to go to bed. Hence, shitty review.

Icy Demons - Miami Ice

http://www.discogs.com/Icy-Demons-Miami-Ice/release/1985322

This album was initially only released in Japan on Easel. Brain (one of my favorite labels), in their infinite wisdom, brought it to the US market shortly after. Four words on Brain releases: Buy All the Things. If you a fan of kraut-, experimental or prog-rock, you will not be disappointed.

The packaging on Miami Ice fits the mood of the album perfectly. Playful, joyful, and does not take itself too seriously. They went with a pink color scheme and the art is...less than professional.



The front of the jacket prominently displays the band and album names in bubble letters. Childish drawing pepper the jacket, it reminds me of a junior high book cover.




The back of the jacket gives credit where it is due and features more of the juvenile artwork. Notably, a badonkadonk so big it take a wheelbarrow to move it.




The vinyl itself is white, featuring custom labels. It feels heavyweight, but not 180 gram.

On to the music I guess.

The first half of the album is very chipper. Miami Ice is often described as experimental. While there is nothing groundbreaking offered on this album, they do manage to do a very good job of blending interesting electronica with poppy sensibility. It makes me think of Black Moth Super Rainbow, were someone to sit them dowm with a Top 40 style producer. The standout track on Side 1 is the titular track, Miami Ice. I could see this track getting airtime on local and college stations; it is very catchy.

Side 2 continues the feeling of joviality. The vocals on this album are really good. Interesting harmony and note choices. The lead vocalist has an appealingly full timbre. The percussive elements of the album are featured prominently on the second side. They seem to amble and punctuate at the same time. The second half of the album is less straightforward than the first. The label of experimental applies more truly here. The track Centurion immediately brings my mind to The Age of Aquarius. I really dig the less poppy tracks on the second half of the album.

I bought this album on a whim. One of the hipsters at work that sells us records dumped this one on me. This gentlemen has pretty good taste in music and I usually try to buy up everything he sells. This one was definitely a gem and I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in electronica of the same ilk as BMSR, Man Man, and Deerhoof. Similarly, anyone who likes music with a discernible Kraut-rock feel should also snatch one up. You can snag this album really cheap and I would say buy it if you fall into the preceding categories.

Wow, that blew. It was bad and I should feel bad. I'm gonna try a couple glasses of scotch to clear the head and hopefully will be back to myself tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment