Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Friends

Hello vinyl friends, and welcome. Today I will review a 12" because friendliness. The records is to be playing in a circle while I listen. Later then, the views of myself I will write. When read write the record, you can listen as well, this is the activity of the heart. Please the thanks.

Ween - The Friends EP

http://www.discogs.com/Ween-The-Friends-EP/release/1177444

This 12" features five songs and shortly preceded the release of the full length La Cucaracha in 2007. Typing that made me realize that it has been four years since Ween released a new studio album. Are they done? Is this it? I saw Gener perform solo at the 7th St. Entry, and though the show was fucking awesome, I couldn't help but wonder where the fuck Dean was. Last I heard he was a fucking fisherman or something. This releases was heralded by Dean as "The ultimate party record, filled with good beats and good times. Perfect for your barbecue or doing bong hits or whatever it is that you guys do."




The front of the jacket displays a group of friends holding hands, the middle two are high fiving. They stand on a field of green grass beneath a cloudy blue sky. The back of the jacket lists the tracks and credits.




One side of the picture disc is covered in fresh green grass.



The other side displays a cloudy blue sky.

The vinyl itself is heavyweight and I have yet to give it a spin. I see five tracks on each side, yet the EP is only five tracks long. My guess is that it is just pressed on both sides of the album. This is a pretty short album, so I will give a short review for each song.

The first track is a remix of Friends, which was later released on La Cucaracha. I find it vastly superior to the album version. They give it a thumping techno beat and use Cher style autotuning. This song definitely lives up to Dean's proclamation of a party song. Bong hits and barbecue are in order.

I Got to Put the Hammer Down is reminiscent of LCD Soundsystem. Another almost techno tune, it lacks the shimmering ecstasy feel of Friends. Still a good track.

The third track, King Billy, is a dub style Reggae tune. Strange almost farting synthesizer adds a surreal feel to the song. The production is intentionally shitty, really love this track.

Light Me Up has a Latin thing going on. This is my second favorite track next to Friends. The story of a drug dealer's last deal syncs up very well with the Central American feel. The chorus is definitely one you can sing along to. "Light me up, before you kill me. 'Cause I ain't goin' down without a fight my friend."

The last track, Slow Down Boy, is a song you could slow dance with a lovely lady to. I could see this song clearing the dance floor of everyone but a few enchanted couples. Ween's vocals are excellent; cheesy but heart felt. I feel like I am watching the prom from a Brat Pack flick.

All in all, this album is a great value. You can score a copy for about $12 on Discogs. The excellent content coupled with really cool presentation makes this a must buy for all Ween fans. It is a great anytime album: cleaning, socializing, fucking; it just works.

Again once thanks. The reading forces the effort of life, yet abounds the expectations for new feelings. Expectantly you see, welcome and goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment