Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Finite Beginnings

I find myself in dire need of a hobby.  Not just something to pass the time, but rather an activity that is in some way "productive and social."  An activity that fulfills the human need of worth.  I need something I can be, not just something I can do.  In that quest, I have resolved this - I will review every fucking album in my vinyl collection.

For too long they have sat, the majority untouched.  My disposable income financing an ever increasing need for more storage space.  Some sit unopened, price tags still affixed.  Most though have been opened in a ritualistic fashion; shrink wrap removed, packaging stickers cut out with a razor blade, the album removed for a cursory glance at the vinyl, inserts examined, download cards noted and unused, dropped in to a poly bag, and slid into alphabetical order among hundred of other unplayed records.

But no longer.

I will run a needle through each and every groove of each and every record.

But the question then is where to begin?  I can only choose one to be the first in this process.  Do I approach it like a bag of skittles - eating the undesirable flavors first and saving the morsels for last?  Do I channel my inner librarian and review them alphabetically?  This question seems important to me, though I can not articulate exactly why.  I guess it is in a sense similar to stacks of virgin vinyl at my side, there is only one "first" for anything.  Eventually that high gloss fades and the action become routine.

So I will ponder this tonight.  Tomorrow I begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment